Greatest of all time draft
Hey all and welcome. If you are viewing this, you are a part of an elite group that has been personally invited by either myself or Chris, and because of your passion and love of the game of basketball, we would love for you to be a participant in the Greatest of all time fantasy draft.
How it will work:
- 8 general managers will be online at the same time, and every NBA player of all time will be eligible to be selected. The format will be the generic snake style system that is used in most fantasy drafts (1st pick in the 1st round will pick last in the second round etc)
- The rosters will comprise of 5 starters and two bench players. Originally, we were only going to have one bench player, but two will allow for a proper rotation. As GM, you are free to play any player at any position. So, for example, if you want to play Lebron at the 4, you are free to do so. But if you elect to have Shaq at PG, this could hurt your team’s performance.
- In addition to the players, we will also have a round where we select coaches.
- Team names will be up to the general managers. Just don’t pick anything offensive, like “The Clippers” 🙂
- A 24 hour trade window after the draft will be allowed. Only trades of equal roster positions are accepted. You won’t be able to deal 2 players for 1.
- No free agent pick ups will be allowed either.
- The draft will be conducted live on google hangout. The audio will be recorded and I will edit it with video evidence backing up our statements and it will be posted on youtube.
- Each GM will have 90 seconds to make their pick. During that time, they can explain the rationale behind their selection or take a shot at another team (let the trash talking begin!) It is absolutely imperative that during this, that everyone else shuts up. We don’t want everyone talking over each other. Let’s keep it respectful.
I think I’ve covered the draft and the rules, although I’m sure I’ve forgotten something. Now onto the playoffs
- As I mentioned earlier, we will have 8 teams. That means 3 rounds, single elimination.The winner will be decided by fan votes from our audience. There will be a poll on each matchup page at OTH, plus people can vote on youtube in the comments section or on Facebook.
- Before the game, the two General Managers will be given a chance to argue for their teams. Try to envision a barber shop type of argument and that is what I am attempting to capture. Like the draft, I will be using the audio and placing video to either confirm or contradict the arguments you make (so if someone says “Lebron can guard any position”, you can bet I will be showing footage of him containing Dwight Howard and also being burnt by Thiago Splitter in the finals)
- I will also be asking for contributions by each GM not involved in the matchup for their feedback in the contest.
- There will be one matchup per week, so there it will take 4 weeks to get the first round out of the way, then 2 weeks for the 2nd round, and 1 week for the final.
- The winning GM will receive a $50 gift voucher from an online store of their choosing and also a $50 donation in their name to a charity of their choosing. It’s not much, I know, but at least it’s something right?
I’m all for suggestions as well, so don’t be shy and get in touch with me if you have any ideas on how to improve it. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me @such_a_bastard